Sunday 25 March 2012

Back to the drawing board

I spent some of today finishing up a UFO - and I use finishing up in a loose sense, meaning I finished piecing the top which has been sitting around half made since last year. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow when its not a howling gale - I had visions of it whipping up up and away over the hedge and out to sea if I tried taking it outside today. I also spent some time looking at this block I made. Our most recent Auckland Modern Quilt Guild challenge is to make a baby quilt to donate to the neo-natal unit at Auckland Hospital. I was all excited about this idea, but I've gone right off it. I want to make something more exuberant. So it's back to the drawing board.


Yesterday I picked up a book I ordered from the library:



It looks quite good on first glance, I'm going to study it in more detail this evening.


This picture made me laugh because it instantly brought back memories of childhood piano lessons. I hope my FMQ can be better than my piano playing was. I was not destined to be a concert pianist and no amount of good posture was going to change that!

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, my childhood piano lessons were the worst! I quit after two years, but every now and again I wish I'd stuck with it. I think that little block looks awesome. What's it supposed to be? Kinda looks like one of those rolling suitcases with the expandable handles, know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your description of your quilt being carried out to see - ha. That would NOT be good! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! It totally does look like a little girl now that you told me it was!! Embroider some eyes and a smile and it would be absolutely obvious, and adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I compared it to a suitcase, I'm like the worst kind of person in existence, lol.

      Delete
  4. Oh gosh yes with a little face, that block would look so sweet!

    The pictures made me laugh - I don't think my posture is ever that good when sewing, especially FMQ'ing. Really, I hunch right in close so I can see what I'm doing, put my head on the side and possibly squint like some weird sewing pirate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice piecing though, even if you've gone off it!

    Who actually sits like that at a sewing machine anyways? She might start that way but I bet after 5 minutes she'd slumping with the best of them. I find I need the machine a bit higher anyways, so I can see underneath - I get far more pain if I'm hunched over trying to see where the needle is.

    ReplyDelete