Sunday 4 March 2012

Not so pretty

It's tempting not to post about this block, but I did decide when I started this blog to include everything - the good, the bad and the ugly! Several of us who are members of the Auckland Modern Quilt Guild decided to follow along with the block of the month designed by Alissa Haight Carlton on Sew, Mama, Sew. I have missed a few - I just didn't like the look of them. Here is February's - it had a number of partial seams which weren't so bad in themselves, but I would definitely do a few things differently if I made it again. What makes this block not so pretty is that I didn't have enough white at home with me, so its on a patterned background - yikes, a bit of an eyeful!

Have you ever pressed and pressed and the fabric just won't behave? Exhibit A above. I think I have enough fabric to do one more block so I will have six in total, but I can't see myself ever putting them together. It has been a good stretch though - I have found these blocks quite technically challenging.

2 comments:

  1. Oh it's a shame it wouldn't be ironed into submission! I have that sometimes and just wonder if my cheap iron needs to be replaced with something more heavy duty hehe!

    I'm with you on posting even the not-so-fab blocks because it's good to look back and reflect even if things didn't work out quite as you planned :) I still think you did a great job on this block though! Looks very complicated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might not like the print instead of the neutral background but it looks like you did a kick-ass job with the seams! Very nice and straight. I haven't worked up the the enthusiasm to attempt mine, though I really should get it out of the way just for the sake of completeness! I'm not really feeling the love for this BOM at the moment, wishing I was doing one of the other 50 that seem to be around at the moment!

    ReplyDelete