Sunday 11 March 2012

Tempus fugit (time flies)

Do you ever float around with a great idea for a quilt, look at the calendar then realise there are a number of restraints to your planned magnus opus (because of course each new quilt starts out as one of these)? Very much my experience this weekend!
1. Time - yep looked at the calendar on Saturday morning and realised the baby shower that this quilt needs to make an appearance at is 2 weeks away, and I'm going to be away next weekend. Time to get your A into G Megan.
2. Fabric - realised, after a bit of sleuthing, that design A was going to be too 'out there' for the  recipients. Design B is going to be a challenge as I don't quite have enough fabric to achieve my grand vision. The vision is now simply a completed quilt.

Anyhoo, as necessity is the mother of all invention, I boxed on. I have gone with wonky stars which I think are great for baby quilts.


This fabric is Hideaway by Moda. I love the little clocks and the deer also. I have decapitated some. Oops.


My brother loves clocks and watches. The quilt is for his first baby. I can't imagine him spending a lot of time looking at the detail in this quilt, but I'm happy that the little clocks are there. I had one charm pack of this fabric which yielded 9 stars but the quilt is a bit small so I gave in to my urge to be frugal and started making little stars from the offcuts for a border.


They take a while to make those little stars - the block is 3" finished so quite fiddly. I'm still trying to decide how many I need to make (sort of wishing 3 could be enough). Its a very grey day here today so these photos look very grey also, but I'm determined this quilt will be a pretty thing when its done! I hope everyone is having a happy weekend.

2 comments:

  1. I am quite often in the same predicament! Those stars look great, this is going to be a gorgeous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be such a cute quilt! There are constraints to realizing our grand visions, but it looks like you've overcome them and are on your way to creating something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete