Thursday 5 July 2012

Miami Vice hexies

I got all enthused when I saw Katy's hexy quilt-alongI started out with big ideas - yes, I would use all the fabric I had, which would yield 60 hexies. After making 6, I downsized a little. Mmmm 40 should do...I reached 10 and decided the magic number should be 20...you get the picture right?




Here are the 12 I have made so far. I don't mind making them actually. I'm just not in love with my Miami Vice colour palette, especially after I saw Karyn's great ones today. I also got dismayed when I realised that I have never appliqued anything in my life, and I have no idea how to quilt hexies no matter how many I finish with - they don't seem to scream 'we're natural friends of straight line quilters'. Anyone like to guess how many hexies I will make before I give up??
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

9 comments:

  1. I think this is a beautiful colour palette and it's not as if the final quilt will be sockless with pushed up sleeves! Stick with it and my feeling is that you will love it at the end

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hexies! Because of the danger of downsizing I'm basting first all hexies ;)) And then I have to sew the flowers together ;))

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are looking so cute! I'm impressed you've gotten this far - I doubt I would have made it to one complete flower hehe! No clues on quilting - I'm a straight line kinda gal myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't give up on them yet! I think you have a really pretty colour range there. You could use spaced out hand stitches with Pearl Cotton thread or something similar rather than machine quilt them. I think it'd be a gorgeous effect if you chose colours similar to the petals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I see hexagons I have to come and look. They are pretty. I am doing Katy's Hexy quilt along too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps the right background colour will make them pop a bit more? And I think that the world is divided into people who love hexies and those who don't, and there's not much you can do if you're in the latter camp, even if you admire other people's efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad to see I am not the only one whose enthusiasm wanes after the first throes of stitching ;-) I think your hexies look great and I am guessing you make 25!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got the technique down, Megan! Keep going! You'll feel so proud of yourself when it's done.
    I think you could do some zig zag quilting along the edges of the hexagons. It will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wondered about a kind of 'lazy s' quilting? Not a straightline, but not super curly either. If you join them all together, you won't have to applique them.

    I think I am up to 14 now. I think mine will be babysized!!

    ReplyDelete