Sunday 26 August 2012

Falling out of love

I can't seem to figure out what isn't working for me with my Liberty Love quilt. I love the fabric, but I'm wondering if it was the choice to use white as the background which wasn't a great idea. I tried some strips on natural linen, but that didn't work either. Then I took some of the cream/murky toned fabric strips out, so the colour palette is clearer now. This is a terrible photo - it is too breezy to lay these pieces outside, but you can see the general direction I'm heading in:


I'm still trying to decide whether I want the word 'love' spelt out in among the stripes. They can go on the back if necessary. (I know that love isn't spelt 'LE' but I really wanted to use the beautiful fabric that Glenys kindly gave me for one of the letters, and E was the one I chose. Random, I know). I am going to do the O and the E with quite strong colours so they don't get lost.


I guess it is just a case of push on and see if it comes right the more I do. Do you ever feel like a project is getting less right the more you do??


5 comments:

  1. Tricky because all those Liberty fabrics are lovely. Maybe when it's bound that will bring it all together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, I think it looks great! I've found that sometimes, it isn't until it is all pieced together, seam allowances sewn, that the quilt comes together. And other times, it's a matter of revamping the original idea. I think the white background works. Have you tried rearranging the blocks? How about placing them horizontally? What does your gut tell you to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Nicole - sometimes it doesn't look right during the process but the finished result can be fab. I think it's looking lovely so far myself!

    But if you're really not feeling the love, have a play around with the arrangement, try some coloured sashing maybe and see if you find the perfect layout that makes you love it again (and take a photo so you remember how you like it when it comes time to sew it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually fall out of love with the quilts I make until they are quilted and I square them off ready for binding. That's my favourite part of the process and makes me smile every time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Megan - Do you think there is too much white? What about a VERY light coloured background such as the palest of pinks or the palest of mauve?

    ReplyDelete