Saturday 8 June 2013

Binding {how I do it}

Occasionally people ask me how I do my binding, so I figured that I would take a few snaps as I was working on binding a mini-quilt that I have been making. This is not a tutorial - there are heaps of good ones around - more just a few details about how I like to do mine.
I cut my binding 2 1/4 inches wide:


And then attach it to the quilt using a generous 1/4 inch seam:


Once it is all attached I give the binding a good press before I start hand-sewing. I put my ruler next to it today for this shot. The seam is 1/4 inch and the binding is half an inch again:


This means that when you fold it over it just clears your stitching line. I like this form of binding because you get a nice full binding that is the same size on both sides. For the neat freak in me that is ridiculously satisfying!


This is what I am working on. It has taken me months to decide on a colour for the border - lots of people gave me feedback when I asked for help but there was no definitive winner between light and dark! Today was the day I bit the bullet and chose light. A bit of hand sewing and it will finally be done.






6 comments:

  1. This colours are fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it all done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My teacher use the same method! It's great, isnt' it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing how others do these little tasks like binding!

    Lovely binding choice for a gorgeous mini!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too cut binding at 2 1/4 inches. Love the little quilt, it looks really great!! (I actually looked at that pattern using low volume fabrics + Lotta J.....but never got round to it!!) Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good, Megan! Binding is something that I've tried many different ways. My latest technique uses a 2" binding that I finish by machine by stitching in the ditch on the front. It looks hand finished from the front and that works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the quilt! Amd thanks for the tip about the binding!

    ReplyDelete