Saturday 8 March 2014

Making Starburst

This quilt challenged me to find my inner scrappy. There was angst and re-makes:

And angst and out-takes (not all of this squad made the final team):


Strategies to ensure that randomness happened:


Quite a lot of pressing in very warm summer conditions:


And lots of holding my breath as it started to come together. Will I like it? Will I like it?



The final verdict? Yes, I like it :-)



I had it quilted by longarmer Carol Fearon. She ditched the blocks and outlined the stars and did a nice little square zig-zag round the border. It is lovely and soft - just need some cooler weather now in order to enjoy the fruits of my labour :-)


12 comments:

  1. it is stunning. Whoever knew that scrappy could be so difficult, but you have done a wonderful job, and your choice of backing fabric is perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the excitement of the progress shots that lead to this beauty....Fantastic! How wonderful does your Starburst quilt looking with its 'pull-together' scrappy border! Oh, and the alternating grey borders! A triumph Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is lovely. I espec like the use of two borders - the solid grey and the grey and white spot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fan-freaking-tastic. Sophie and I discussed this during her bath tonight. I'll send you a snippet of video!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!!! Love the borders you chose for this. So perfect for the scrappy stars

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how this has turned out, scrappy yet light and fresh looking. I especially like the alternate block borders, that grey and white dot - yummy. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!!! This turned out so well and your scrappiness is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. FAB.U.LOUS. everything about this quilt is perfect. I love that block and you did a great job on the scrappy. Wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really beautiful. I love the double border around the edge in keeping with the internal borders - very clever. A great story - will I like it? will I not? We can all relate to those stages.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is simply stunning. Your inner scrappiness has reached its zenith :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yes you should like it - it's stunning!

    (I was going to say that before I saw what little island said. really. I'm too braindead to think of another word.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like your quilt! I am not usually a scrappy lover, but this looks great! What pattern did you use?

    ReplyDelete