Sunday 13 September 2015

Round robin {Karyn}

We swapped round robin blocks at our Monday Modern meeting last week. I received the cuckoo clock that Karyn started. Cuckoo clocks are kind of quirky to my way of thinking, and I really liked what Carolyn had done before me with the sort of deconstructed circles. I started by raiding my stash for anything that looked like it might fit. I particularly wanted to use some quirky Dr Suess type (?) fabric that I had.


I forgot to photograph my out takes and revisions. Anyway...this is what it became.


I'm no designer, but if anyone wants to know what I was thinking, read on...
Firstly - that brown fabric (is it actually Dr Suess? I don't know) reminded me of clock pendulums and the colour seemed to work really well, as did the little circles which kind of play on Carolyn's circles. I didn't want to do flying geese as they featured in a number of blocks this month, but something about the shape of the top of the clock made it a bit irresistible. And finally, I wanted to add some hour glass blocks. You know, in keeping with the whole time theme... I'm not completely happy with the bottom left block, so it might get a makeover before next month's meeting.

Friday morning was spent setting up at Alberton. I managed to get one picture before I had to leave for work.


Pop along if you're local - its worth it for the beautiful old home alone.





6 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed at the amount of thought all of you are putting into these blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certainly heading over to Alberton , this photo certainly whets the appetite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the addition of the flying geese blocks and the hourglass blocks are very clever ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The round robin looks great - that brown fabric is different, but it blends in so nicely. Personally I think that if every quilt has at least one flying goose (geese?), that would not be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great additions to the cuckoo clock - round robins look so difficult - I don't know that I could ever make a decision as to what to add!

    ReplyDelete